Pages

June 25, 2012

Reimagined Monday: DIY Bench Makeover

Tausha at Sassy Style Design has been afflicted with the same condition that we have at Apple Box BoutiqueASCP-itis!  We have BIG love for Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, and today's Reimagined Monday post is another fabulous example of why we adore it.

Check out Tausha's blog for an upbeat look at home decor, design and furniture make-overs or catch Tausha on Utah's Studio 5 television for lots of fun crafts and more.

But first... here is an excerpt from Tausha's entryway 'shabby chic' bench makeover:

Annie Sloan Chalk Paint
DIY Bench Makeover

"If you have ever visited my blog before, you know that I LOVE Annie Sloan Chalk Paint!

We are talking, pretty sure it’s not healthy to love paint as much as I love this paint.

Why do I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint so much?

my chalk paint pi

The versatility, hands down. You can paint anything with this paint. Anything! You can read more about my past Annie Sloan Chalk paint projects here. I give a lot of tips and ideas to help you love the paint as well. 
 
The reason I am talking about my love affair with the chalk paint is because of my Entryway Makeover.

 how to diy entryway to awesome 

I painted a sad, forgotten bench and now it takes the center stage it so deserves.
(Yes, I totally realize that I am talking about my bench like it is a person…)
 
Entryway bench after  

The bench is the perfect fit for my entryway. I don’t have a huge space and this bench measures 11” deep, so it fits perfectly. Plus, I love the cute curves.

My bench left a lot to be desired before...

bench before

I am totally over the whole honey oak look. It was great in the 90’s, but not so much now.  It had been a while since I had used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint, I knew that it would be perfect for my bench DIY. 

I didn’t have enough of one color, so I mixed my own. That is one of the many reasons why I love Annie Sloan Chalk Paint. I can mix colors  to my hearts desire. I wasn’t too worried about brush strokes, so I quickly slapped the paint on."

bench painted


"After the first coat was dry, I dry brushed some old white in some corners. I wanted the curves of the piece to really stand out, so I made sure that I gave the curves some extra attention..."

Entryway bench close3

Entryway bench close2

"After I dry brushed the white, I added the clear wax. I waxed the entire piece with the clear wax. I wiped the clear wax on and the buffed it off with the same rag. 

I then added some dark wax in some corners and on the edges of her fabulous curves.

Entryway bench pics 004
Entryway bench pics 005

Don’t worry if you get to much of the dark wax in one spot. Just put some clear wax over the spot and wipe it off. It acts like an eraser..sort of.

Then she was finished.  Sort of.

Entryway bench back

Yep, I didn’t paint the back of the bench. My arm was ready to fall off and I figured that nobody would see the back anyway. So, yes, I totally left it unpainted and I am totally ok with it.

Did I mention that I am little on the lazy painter side? When one paints for 3 days solid and has pins and needles in her wrist, she becomes a lazy painter.

And to keep it really real, what my entryway usually looks like...

Entryway bench irl

Well, almost. I did throw some papers away and some of my 12 yr. olds shoes earrings down the stairs. ( I choose to not go in her room, it just makes me swear).

I love my little bench & her fabulous curves!

PS-If you noticed that picture has a different pillow, you will also learn that I am a bit of changing pillows for the season freak.  Just keeping it real."

Entryway bench after

That's exactly why we love Tausha's blog.  She is REAL and more than happy to share project successes and challenges (we all have them!) as she makes her way to her lovely creations.

Happy Monday... Happy Painting!

,
Apple Box Boutique

Here is how to share your reimagined paint project at On the Apple Box:

Send us a description of how you used Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to get from your vision to the reimagined piece, before and after pictures, pictures of your project in progress or a couple of it in its finished state, and you may be highlighted on our blog!


_______________________________________
We'd LOVE it if you shared our blog:

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome!

Please Share This