Pages

July 30, 2012

Reimagined Monday: Ahhhh, Florence!

Well, after several days of struggling with our blog... again (you may have noticed that the number of posts in the last week equals a big fat goose egg) we are back!

We'd knock on wood... but let's paint it instead! 

Today is...

Let's go back to July 6th at On The Apple Box when we announced the newest Annie Sloan Chalk Paint colour, Florence.  The conversation about creating a sample for the blog went something like this:

Leanne:  "Here is my primitive 'computer sketch' of my ASCP Florence project."

        Us: "Really... don't you want to try it on something small first?"

        Cue Leanne's stare of disbelief and chirping crickets.

        Us: "Right.  Well, we'll take pics"

Here is Leanne's sketch:


and here is the Florence paint swatch, extended with ASCP Old White:

Based on Ciruelo Interiors PG swatch

This is the story of what happened next, in her very own words (you might want to make a sandwich and grab a soda... that girl can chat!)

 "Hello everyone and happy Monday!

When I saw the paint chip introducing Florence to all of us in North America, it was love at first sight.  I couldn't wait to get my hands on a can and get painting!  In a second and a half I had the cabinet I wanted to reimagine sitting in its new place in my parlour... Oh the anticipation!

I think I say this every time, but that is one of my favourite things about ASCP.  I paint indoors and 'on the spot' for myself, the boutique and clients.  No more heavy hauling or worries about time of year, rain or temperature... an especially HUGE plus in the winter when you live as far north as I do.  Even the reindeer wear parkas here.  Lately they've been carrying umbrellas, which somehow seems wrong.  (Get it?  Rain Deer?  Right, sorry about that. Moving on...)  

The lovelies at Apple Box Boutique -- that's what I used to call them before that smart remark that I talk a lot -- shared my computer sketch and the colour card with you.  This is the cabinet, pre-paint and pre-my-kindergarten-version of a computer drawing:

Picture by previous owner.  Thank you!

I was inspired by an image I found on the internet a while ago, and for the life of me I cannot seem to find it again.  If this is your photo and your work, thank you for posting it and please let me know who you are so I can credit you!


I don't know if this cabinet was painted with Annie Sloan's Florence, but it has the worn, chippy look I was after and the colour is what I was dreaming about -- a deep verdigris that is reminiscent of old world paintings and oxidized copper.  Then Annie Sloan posted this image of a facade in France that made my heart skip another beat:


Finally the paint was here and no time was wasted in getting out the brushes!

To begin, hubby and I removed the top of the two-part cabinet and I set to work taking off the hardware.  I don't always do that, but the handles and pulls are lovely and I decided not to paint them.  It is much easier to paint cabinet doors while they are still on the piece so they stayed put and I worked around the hinges.

When I opened the can of Florence, it made me pause for a moment... it is so bold and bright that it could make a lot of people stop right there, but having experienced that with other ASCP colours (Emperor's Silk starts off with a big breath in as well!) I knew to be fearless and forge ahead!

I decided to start with the buffet section, painting it first with Florence then the trim and details in Old White.  When it was dry I started rubbing away some of the paint to give it a 'been around the block' look.


(Woops... messy Leanne reveal. I didn't have any felt for the feet so used beach towels to keep the cabinet from damaging the floor and a couple of garbage bags to protect from my 'Joie de Vivre' style of painting.  Others might call it wreckless abandon, but that's a story for another day.)

After a couple of hours of painting and a whole lot of second-guessing myself, I decided to really go for it with the distressing.  When it looked suitably worn out, I finished it with clear wax, then added dark wax to give it a lovely aged patina.

Here are the bits:

Flashback to the before:

... my sketch:


And this is what I ended up with, towels, bags and all:

Now to decide what to put in it!  I'll start with the precious crystal Mama just handed down to me, and then the world is my oyster!  Look out thrift stores... here I come!"

xo, Leanne

Everyone at the boutique already adores Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and now we all have BIG love for  Florence.

What do you think?  Are you loving it too?

,
Apple Box Boutique

Here is how to share your reimagined paint project at On the Apple Box:

Send us a description of how you used Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint or Annie Sloan Chalk Paint to get from your vision to the reimagined piece, before and after pictures, pictures of your project in progress or a couple of it in its finished state, and you may be highlighted on our blog!


_______________________________________
We'd LOVE it if you shared our blog:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome!

Please Share This